Monday, December 13, 2010

Morrisey Sausage Dressing for 2010

So as a kid my Grandma always made sausage "dressing" or as most call it stuffing. I loved this stuff. I remember looking forward to it at family gatherings more than everything else.
Grams stopped making this "dressing" because Grandpa Wayne liked bread stuffing better he said "you can't eat meat stuffing with meat" so we essentially stopped having it from there on.
Holidays would come and go and I would hope for a surprise corning wear dish of this coveted "dressing" to be on the counter for me to swoon over.... but alas it was gone forever. (can you hear the sad woe is me violin music)

I asked around if anyone is the family had the recipe written down and not a soul did, so one day i got the best phone call. It was my super duper awesome amazing fantastic best grandma in the world! She was calling to tell me her recipe for the sausage "dressing"! SWEET BABY JESUS was I excited!

So after a quick how do you do I was scratching down THE recipe! Come to find out this recipe wasn't complicated like my taste buds had fooled me into believing. Matter of fact this sausage "dressing" wasn't so unique either. I guess it's a traditional thing mostly known as Sausage and Sage dressing.

We what do ya know! All this time I thought I was about to create the next best thing to Stove Top ahahaha!

With Thanksgiving days away I begin to panic and think of all the "what ifs" that could happen. I won't go into details but let's just say I had a lot of apprehension about this darn stuffing!

I did some research and took it upon myself to amp up my most perfect Grandma's recipe! Not that her recipe wasn't awesome I just wanted to step it up and prove i could do it and do it with some pizzazz!

I did use Pepperidge Farm Herb bread cubes because it was exactly the same as if i were to buy loaf upon loaf of bread and toast it and season it myself. It worked GREEATT and it was on sale 2 for $5 and you know this Morrisey loves a sale!!

OK don't hate me but the measurements are not 100% accurate here only because there was a lot of winging it going on during this process.

OH OH ahahaha! Right before i made this stuffing I made the worlds most DISGUSTING pumpkin shortbread cookies!! They tasted like pumpkin flavored dry wall. No really they did. So that kicked up my anxiety even more because now what was I going to bring to my Martian's Aunt's house for my first visit on Thanksgiving evening.

Stay tuned for that blog entry!!

Anyway enough of my chitter chatter!

Enjoy and Keep on Making Stuff!!
xox
Barbie

Grandma's Sausage Dressing dressed up for 2010

This recipe made enough stuffing to feed 13 adults with plenty left over.

2 - 12 oz bags of Pepperidge farms Sage and Onion Cubed Stuffing
2.5 - 32 oz containers of low sodium/fat free chicken broth or use your own homemade stock
4 - Carrots (large full size)
3 - Celery Stalks
1 - White Onion small to medium depending your preference
Sausage about 2 pounds. Your preference I used Jimmy Dean regular sausage because some members of my family are very sensitive to seasoning.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Spread the bread cubes in your 9x13 baking dish
In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned.
Pour sausage mixture over bread cubes in baking dish.
Mix in...
Finely chopped carrots
Coarsely
chop apples, dried cranberries. 
Slowly pour over chicken stock. I poured half in mixed and cooked for about 40 mins, took it out of the oven stirred added the rest of the stock and baked for another 40 mins. 
I let the stuffing come down in temp a bit and let the flavors all meet before I served.
The bread cubes were already seasoned but you can add as much spice as you like. I think next time I make this I will add more when I am not serving it to a spice sensitive crowd.
This was a great success and my grams liked it so I passed the test!! I'm so happy!!
Here are some pics like always...
Enjoy and Keep On Making Stuff!







TAH DAH!!



1 comment:

  1. at least your gram didn't fool your taste buds to much. I found out a couple of years ago the chocolate chip banana bread my mom made when I was a kid was from a box and all of these years I have been making it from scratch to prove I can be just like her. lol I was very hurt when I found out the truth by accident.lol

    happy baking and cooking Barbie!

    ReplyDelete