Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Jeanie, your cake gave me a panic attack ahahaha!

I love to cook, I love to bake and I haven't met a recipe I have not been able to master....BUT there is one thing I feel I am horrible at and that my dears is frosting cakes!! They never come out smooth or pretty. It's always wavy and lumpy and I use too much frosting so the cake breaks and then I get crumbs in my frosting!! GRRRR!!

So when Keith sent me a text inviting me to a BBQ I was already going through all the new recipes I could try, then it happened he sent another text saying it was a birthday party for Jeanie. OH!! I love birthdays!!

Why did I volunteer to make a cake? Oh yeah I don't think anyone should have a store bought birthday cake when a delicious one can be made.

I almost immediately began to regret my decision when I remembered caked have to be frosted ahaahaha!

Just prior I have found a great recipe here.... her blog is amazing so don't just check out this recipe take a peak at the entire thing.

I pretty much followed this recipe step by step, but Keith wanted Blueberry in the cake so instead of chocolate filling I subbed the chocolate for Blueberry preserves and fresh Blueberries.

This is a really really great cake, next time I will recruit a froster though a DF (designated froster).

Enjoy this cake and as always my photogs!
Keep on Making Stuff!!

Recipe



Vanilla Buttermilk Cake from Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes

Makes an 8-inch triple-layer cake

•4 whole eggs

•2 egg yolks

•2 teaspoons vanilla extract

•1¼ cups buttermilk

•3 cups cake flour

•2 cups sugar

•4½ teaspoons baking powder

•½ teaspoon salt

•2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cake pans or spray to coat with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and grease the paper.
Put the eggs and yolks in a medium mixing bowl, add the vanilla and ¼ cup of the buttermilk. Whisk to blend well.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixer bowl; whisk to blend. Add the butter and the remaining 1 cup buttermilk to these dry ingredients, and with the mixer on low, blend together. Raise the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing only until thoroughly incorporated. Divide the batter among the three prepared pan.
Bake the cake layers for 28 to 32 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Let the layers cool in the pans for 10 minutes; then carefully turn out onto wire racks, peel off the paper liners and let cool completely.

Mascarpone Filling:
Chocolate Cream Mascarpone Filling

•8 oz. mascarpone cheese

•8 oz. cream cheese, softened

•4 tbsp. honey

•4 tbsp. cocoa

•1 tsp. vanilla

•1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Cream both cheese in a medium bowl. Stir in honey and vanilla and mix well. Stir in cocoa and powdered sugar til well combined. Spread between cooled cakes or refrigerate til ready to use.

This cake was a giant! It was just effing huge!!! ahahahaa!

Cream Cheese Frosting:

•16 oz. cream cheese, softened

•2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened

•1 tbsp. vanilla

•2 lb. powdered sugar

•pinch of salt

In a large bowl, cream cheese and butter together til creamy and there are no lumps. Add vanilla, salt and slowly mix in powdered sugar.



so ummm we had a little bit of a causalty! ahahaha!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

it wasn't that bad when all was said and done and Jeanie is totally worth all the frosted stress ahahaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment