Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oven Baked Onion Rings (guest post from my MO. BFF)

So I am always telling Jan what I'm going to make next and run ideas by her. I also send her recipes I know she and her uber cool hubby Neal "the big deal" West will enjoy!

I sent Jan this recipe a couple weeks ago and next thing you know she's sending me a text message with this yummy pic of her onion rings!

Here is Jan's awesome cell phone photo shoot and the recipe!!

Thanks for being awesome J. West!! What would I do without you in my life!!



Oven Baked Onion Rings
Ingredients
Cooking spray
4 cups Ritz crackers
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 to 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet slightly with oil and set aside.

Place Ritz crackers into a food processor and process into crumbs, or place in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Transfer to a shallow bowl, add cayenne, and set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper and set aside. Slice onions into 1/2-inch circles and separate into rings.

Place the remaining flour in a sealable plastic bag, then add onions, and shake to coat. Dip onions 1 at a time into the buttermilk mixture, then into cracker crumbs and place on baking sheet.

Spray cooking spray evenly over rings and bake for 20 minutes, or until coating is crisp. Season with salt and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment