Sunday, December 26, 2010

Devil's Food Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Mousse Frosting

If this cake were currency I think after the rave reviews I have received I would be a gazillionaire or at least have maybe have $100 ahaha!!


No really it's not inventing the wheel here my friends. I ran across many chocolate cake recipes with mousse frosting so I just took bits and pieces of what I read and came up with this super yummy in the tummy recipe!

This cake was such a huge birthday success my Grandma asked me if I would make it to bring to  family Christmas dinner. I was a bit reluctant and thought about making several other things. One of them being Nutella Fudge with Sea Salt which I still may try for New Years eve but that of course will be a new entry!

Soooo I made the cake again for Christmas dinner with the fam.

Oh ahaha while I was making this cake my Grandma was over and she got the lick the spoon and made the subtle hint "you know my Birthday is in January and I wouldn't mind if you made this cake" ahaha!! Who am I to deny my super awesome amazing adorable Grandma cake!! So I'll be making this again in just a few weeks.

I have been very lucky this year to have met so many special  people.

Enjoy and Keep On Making Stuff!!

Devil's Food Cake
adapted from several recipes
Ingredients


2 table spoons of unsalted butter
3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate (i used dark chocolate coco powder)
2 cups white sugar (i used 1 cup)
2 eggs
1 cup water
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease two 9 inch round pans.

In a small pan melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly. (i just melted the butter in the micro and stirred in the coco powder which was much easier)

Cream together the sugar and the eggs until light in color. Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs and temper mixture by beating well (so you don't end up with scrambled eggs!) Add 1 cup boiled water (still warm) and blend well. Mixture will be very thin. Don't worry it's supposed to be like this

Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture and blend well.

Mix together the vinegar and the milk and stir into the chocolate batter. Pour into your pans.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until it passes the clean toothpick test.

You must let cool totally before you add the mousse. I have made my cakes the night before on both instances which makes prep much easier.

Chocolate Mousse
1 - 12oz  can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup dark or regular coco powder

1 cup cold water
1 (4 serving size) package instant chocolate flavor pudding mix (i only use 2 tablespoons of this for consistency purposes, it helps keep things from getting too soft)
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Directions:
Mix the condensed milk and coco powder until smooth

Gradually add the cold water and tablespoons of instant pudding mix to the condensed milk mixture (you could add the entire pack of pudding mix, it certainly couldn't hurt. I do suggest using the sugar free kind though)

Now let the condensed milk coco mixture chill in the fridge for 30-40 mins until it's nicely set.

Whip the heavy cream until very fluffy. Gradually add your condensed milk coco mix the the whipped cream.
This will make your mousse.

I just fold it in with a spoon and lightly still being careful not to break it down too much.

Now that your cakes are done and cooled and your mousse is done let's do it!

Take one of those 9inch round cakes of goodness and put it on your cake plate of choice.
Take about 1 to 1.5 cups of mousse and loosely spread it over the top. no need to make it pretty it will be covered with the other cake.
Drop the 2nd cake on to make a double layer of chocolaty sin.

Now use the rest of the mousse to frost the cake and don't forget to lick the spoon when you are done.




ohhh look how fluffy!


this is one of the best chocolate mousse i have had


oh this smelled soooo good!!

don't you just want to swipe your finger along the side for a taste


2 comments:

  1. This looks like one SERIOUS chocolate cake - which happens to be my favorite! You can never have too many great chocolate cake recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally amazing!! I've received more compliments on this cake! Thanks so much for the comment it's much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete