Friday, April 13, 2012

Beans and Rice and Everything Nice

Everyone has certain foods that could eat very often. For me it's homemade chicken noodle soup, chips and salsa, and this salad.

Originally this salad did not have rice, and without rice it's just as awesome but I have grown to prefer it with.

For me the ingredients are things I ALWAYS have in my cupboard.

This little concoction can be used in so many ways. I also like to put some on a tortilla with some chicken and make a sort of burrito. I like it with a little avocado on top too but I'm pretty sure avocado on top of just about anything is going to be good.

So you know beans and rice are a great combo. Lots of protein and amino acids. There is nothing in this salad that's bad for you. If you are like me and like to make sure most of what you eat is not only delicious but fuel for your body this salad is right up your alley.

There is no real name for this most of the time I just call it the beans and rice salad.

Beans and Rice Salad

Ingredients:
1 - can of black beans
1 - can of corn
1 - can of diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
2 - cups of white rice
1 - cup of vinegar
1/2 - cup of olive oil
1/3 - cup lemon or lime juice
2 - Tbsp of minced garlic
1 - Tbsp of garlic powder
1 - Tsp of sea salt
1 - Tsp of pepper

Directions:
Cook the rice and set aside. I just use instant white rice. I tried it with brown and didn't care for it with this.

Drain your cans and put everything in a large bowl.
Now add everything but the rice to the bowl and give it a stir. Once you have everything mixed add the rice.

I always add more garlic etc after its all mixed until it's to my liking. I'm the kind of cook that doesn't really use exact measurements in things. I like to just toss in a little of this and a little of that.

Once it's done you can eat it right away or I like to chill mine in the fridge for about a hour. This also gives the rice time to absorb more of the "juices".

There are so many things you can do with this versatile salad. Let me know if you make it and what modifications you have done!

Enjoy and Keep on Making Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment