Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Scones of thanks....

So when your BFF is recently married and they are in the process of buying their first house AND it’s Thanksgiving there is a lot and I mean a lot to be thankful for. So when Gigi said she wanted some scones how could I deny her that. Now I played it off like oh hmmm yea that sounds good. All the while I was going over what I had at home to make scones with. BINGO! I have everything I need.

To keep with the theme things I am thankful for, I wanted to show her just a smidge of how thankful I am to have her in my life. I found the perfect basic scone recipe.

I made these little gems smeared them with the raspberry jam that I made. ME!! I MADE JAM!! Oh and I made some with Nutella because if you are going to splurge it should be worth it and Nutella makes any splurge worth it! I could be wrong but probably not! Ahaha!

My plan was to bake these and leave them on her doorstep to find when she got home. BUT time got away from me and the pouring rain here in MI had me in a “I’d like to stay in my pajamas all day mood”. So what I did was I wrapped them up and left them by her back door with a note. I wanted to take a pic for you guys of me sneaking up there but again it was pouring rain and I was trying to be sneaky. I left the scones and sent her a text saying I left her something outside her back door. HA!

You know I am sure we all have a lot to be thankful for, I can say there are so many days that go by I forget about some of these things. It happens. But moments happen when you are reminded of how truly great life can be if you just let it.

So with that being said I am so truly thankful for everything I have and everyone in my life. I am even thankful that at this very moment my coffee cup is empty because I really don’t need any more caffeine! Ahaha!

Make these scones for someone to show them how thankful you are that they are in your life. Oh heck make them for yourself because you can and be thankful you had all the ingredients! aha!

Enjoy! Keep on Making Stuff!!


Glazed Raspberry Scones(click here for the original recipe):
  2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup (about) raspberry jam (do not use seedless)
Glaze
  •  1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon rose water (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal. Gradually add 1 cup cream, mixing until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto sheet of foil; pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Using 3-inch heart-shaped or round cookie cutter, cut out scones. Gather scraps; pat to 1/2-inch thickness and cut out additional scones. Using floured knife, start at point of each heart and cut horizontally halfway through scones; fill with 1 generous teaspoon jam (jam will show at edges). Transfer to baking sheet. Bake scones until brown, about 18 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool scones until slightly warm.
Meanwhile, mix powdered sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons cream, and rose water in bowl to blend. Spread glaze over scones. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

This is Gigi and I on her wedding day....isn't she the prettiest BFF ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment